Life is a precious gift. But there is a distinction between simply existing and truly living. Most of us are going through our lives simply doing the mundane task of just surviving. Through this article, I want to share with you some of the habits which we should incorporate in our lives to live a richer, more rewarding life.
Shed The Load
Never hold grudges. This is the first step leading to a fulfilling life. Remember
“When you hold grudges, your hands aren’t free to catch blessings.”
To stop holding grudges you need to forgive others and most importantly, forgive yourself. Being a human being we all make mistakes, let go of grudges and move on. I know this is easily said than done but grudges make you unhappy, so we should try to consciously train our mind for never holding grudges in order to live happily, enjoying each moment of life passionately. Remember and constantly tell yourself that ‘no one has the power to make you uneasy or unhappy without your consent and you are unwilling to grant this authority to this person’.
Try to be in the shoes of the person who has hurt you and try to see their point of view at that point of their life. This makes it easy to forgive them and let go of the grudge against them. So be the one responsible for your happiness and not let others dictate your happiness. Sometimes our conduct may have been such so as to let the other person behave like that with us. So one should be self-aware enough to know when we are wrong and have no problem with apologizing to let go of the burden and lead to a more fulfilling life.
We should be thankful to the almighty for bestowing this life on us. We can be thankful in different ways.
- If you have experienced difficulties in life then try to understand that if you didn’t have gone through these experiences, you might not have grown into the strong and knowledgeable person you are today.
- Be thankful for what you have now instead of thinking about what you don’t have.
- Life is far too short to be spent worrying about things which we cannot control. So bring happiness in your life in present circumstances. Remember you and only you are responsible for your happiness.
- Cherish the people who come into your life and motivate you to become a better person than you were yesterday. May it be a friend, your child, your spouse or may be someone you respect immensely. Often we take our spouse for granted. Try to be a better person for them, giving more love, more care or simply more understanding to their thoughts and beliefs. Our children teach us a lot of things while passing through different stages of their life. Share their visions, their aspirations, their problems. You will see a marked change in yourself. All though you may be having a lot of friends but a few of them must be definitely precious to you. They, sometimes by being there or by sharing their views, become solid pillars of your being. They motivate your inner self to become a better person. Always cherish such people in your life.
Try To Learn
I believe, every person that you come in contact with in your life, no matter for how long, teaches you something. You should have a perceptive mind. Even the negative traits of a person help you to learn how to avoid that negativity in your own life. Do something each day that enhances your self-worth in your own eyes.
Nobody is perfect but we all should try to be a better person than yesterday to make a difference in the world. Reflect on your weaknesses, and vow to transform them into strengths that will add richness and energy to the way you live.
We all make mistakes, after all, we are humans. It is okay to make mistakes but make sure to learn from them, forgive yourself and move on to a better life. Self-improvement is an integral part of self-love. If you want to improve yourself, it doesn’t mean you don’t value yourself or you don’t love yourself. Let us understand it in this way:
If you love someone else, surely you want the best for them. It may be your friend, your children, your spouse. You want them to be healthy, happy and successful. e.g. if your friend is unhappy with his/her life, you want their life to change so they’ll be happy. Apply the same standards to yourself that you do to others.
“Decide to be better because you deserve better; because you love yourself and want to enable yourself to live your ideal life.”
Love Your Work
When you love your job, you discover, you will never have to work another day in your life. If you don’t currently love what you do, figure out what you would love and take the first step towards that life.
Have an intense passion for your work. Spending your days doing work that you find rewarding, intellectually challenging and fun will do more than going to an expensive vacation, to keep your spirits high and your heart engaged.
Respect You Relationships
A perfect relationship is a myth because nobody is perfect. Great relationships come from two people who constantly evolve to become that perfect person for their partner on a daily basis. They work on themselves to be the best partner they can possibly be. Some points to be kept in mind are:
- Every person has his or her strengths and weaknesses so one should not compare.
- Being able to talk openly and knowing you will be heard and not ignored or dismissed is vital for the longevity of a relationship.
- Double standards in a relationship don’t work, whereby one set of rules applies to them and a different set of rules applies to everyone else.
- A good partner encourages the other to be the best they can be. They do not feel threatened by the others success and naturally bring out the best in one other.
- So many people take their loved ones for granted and feel an unrelenting sense of regret when they are gone. Our relationships are the most meaningful things we have in life and should be cherished.
Invest In Yourself
Relationships should be cherished but investing in yourself is equally important. To live a richer, more rewarding life it is essential that you run your own race.
- Make your health and wellness a top priority and always take care of yourself so you’re ready to take care of others.
- Spend time with people who make you happy while at the same time not depending on other people on your happiness.
- Think for yourself, instead of letting other people’s opinions influence you too much because it is the best feeling in the world to know you can figure things out by yourself.
- Do something every day that makes you feel proud of yourself like commit random acts of kindness whenever you get the chance.
- Do the things you love to do as much as you can. Maintain your hobbies.
- Find the courage to change things that should be changed and accept that there are somethings that cannot be changed.
- Use your energy wisely because spending energy complaining, worrying or being impatient is just wasted energy.
- Face your fears head on and try to do the things that you think you cannot do.
- Write out a list of goals and achieve them step by step. Don’t give up when things get difficult.
- Remember a good partner doesn’t expect their significant other to be the only source of happiness in their life. They realize that we are all responsible for our own happiness. A partner is a wonderful bonus but not a necessity in life.
- Be yourself. Each one of us has our own values, beliefs, personality traits and desires. When we deny any part of our authentic self, we die a little death on the inside. Remember always that our uniqueness makes us who we are.
- Become the person you would like to spend the rest of your life with.
- Collect quotes that inspire you. A great quote contains a wealth of wisdom in a single line which would have taken many years to arrive at. You should have your own collection of quotations and keep referring to them when you need instant inspiration or advice. This I have personally experienced in life.
Always remember, our lives are meant to be lived fully and completely without regret. We never know how long we have, so let’s start living a life free of regrets today and every day.
Please comment and share your views.